During the NBA Finals last night Blizzard aired the first television advertisement for their upcoming sequel to Starcraft. The text is very similar to what was seen during the trailers for last year’s Star Trek film and the advert is short but totally awesome. Also, information on the collector’s edition of the game has been up on Amazon.com for awhile but I’m posting it here because it is certainly worth looking at:
- The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
- An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor’s dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War expansion set
- A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director’s commentary, and more
- The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic tracks from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks
- StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series
- A World of Warcraft mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account
- Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit
Personally, I think it’s brilliant cross-marketing for Blizzard to give you an in-game pet for World of Warcraft with the Wings of Liberty collector’s edition. I also like the idea of having the original Starcraft games on a little USB drive even though I already own them.
Seeing as fans have been waiting for this game for over ten years, I think it will be worth it to dish it out for the collector’s edition. The game is out on July 27th and is currently available for pre-order on Amazon and although the collector’s edition is listed there is no order option for it as of right now. I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for it for sure.